WATER IS LIFE - The Water Retention Landscape of Tamera

Links and discussion to broaden our horizons

Moderator: matt walker

WATER IS LIFE - The Water Retention Landscape of Tamera

Postby George Collins » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:38 pm

Arguably the finest expression of permaculture principles applied anywhere on earth by arguably the finest practitioner of permaculture principles anywhere on earth.

There were three quotes taken from this video that are worth drawing special attention to:

I've not seen a single situation, nation or land in which the development of a water retention landscape would not give the first important healing impulses. - Bernd Mueller

When soil is hotter than the falling rain it rejects the water. Only when the soil is cooler, when the vegetation is giving shadow, then it attracts the water and lets it seep in. - Sepp Holzer

It is enough to build a dam out of natural material at the narrowest point of a valley. You dig a ditch until you reach an impermeable layer. On that solid ground, you apply layer after layer of fine material like moist clay and drive on it and roll it to build the water barrier. This water barrier is the core of the dam. For the outside of the dam, I take coarse material. It doesn't have to be dense and water proof. Of course I will also have to compact it by driving on it and rolling it and like this I build the whole dam. The water barrier in the core and on the outside in a slope of 1:2, one meter up and two along, like this I build the two layers together up to the top. - Sepp Holzer
"Solve world hunger, tell no one." "The, the, the . . . The Grinch!"

"If you can't beat them, bite them."
George Collins

Return to Educational Resources