[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Edible Forest Gardens

Edible Forest Gardens

Links and discussion to broaden our horizons

Moderator: matt walker

Edible Forest Gardens

Postby matt walker » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:59 pm

"Edible Forest Gardens" by Dave Jacke with Eric Toensmeier.

http://www.edibleforestgardens.com/

This is a two volume set of books that I have been engrossed in for a week or so now. A wealth of real world information, visits and balanced reviews of existing forest gardens, including Robert Hart's and Martin Crawford's. My favorite section so far is the Pattern Language of Forest Gardens section which references Christopher Alexander's landmark book. Totally serendipitous that my neighbor dropped that book off a day before these arrived. Anyway, these two books aren't cheap, but I have gotten my money's worth out of them already in the short time I've had them. Excellent indexes list useful plants, which I've found incredibly informative. Overall, I would strongly recommend these to anyone interested in the subject.
matt walker
Site Admin

Re: Edible Forest Gardens

Postby Lemicha » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:23 pm

Thank-you for posting this link...This seems to be how I am trying to design my land here, on a small scale, but fitting alot.

Question...Do these books have images or drawings showing the root structure of each plant?
Someone else's opinion of you does not have to become your reality.
Dream like a child...Plan like an adult
Lemicha

Re: Edible Forest Gardens

Postby matt walker » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:23 pm

Yes Lemicha, Volume One has a chapter titled "Structures of an Underground Economy" which goes into great detail of root structure and much more. I also found Robert Kourik's "Designing and Maintaining Your Edible Landscape Naturally" a great resource in this regard. He does a wonderful job of discussing the various root systems and how to design using that knowledge.
matt walker
Site Admin

Return to Educational Resources