DIY hot beds

Links and discussion to broaden our horizons

Moderator: matt walker

DIY hot beds

Postby boo » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:11 am

I saw in another thread about problems with producing food that likes a warmer temperature than you have.
I'm attaching a link to DIY hot beds which may eliminate the problem of not being able to grow your preferred vegetables.
Maybe hotbeds combined with a greenhouse........
http://www.holon.se/garden/howto/hotbed_en.shtml
boo

Re: DIY hot beds

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:45 pm

I built a Hot bed many years ago. Pretty basic, and very cheap. I dug down about 2 feet, but in some very fresh horse poop, sifted the top soil back in over that, took 4 bales of straw, 2 in the back, one on either side. Had it facing south and put some old single pane storm windows I had over the opening at about 45 degree angle. It worked GREAT. All of the seed germinated, plants were growing well, getting big. I had to crack the glass open everyday so that it did not over heat. One day I was late for work and did not open the glass, Cooked every thing in the Hot Bed. I was working then, now that I am retired and have more time maybe I should try it again. MMMMMMMMMMMM,,,,Maybe I should just buy a couple of plants, ;)
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Return to Educational Resources