Power of community - How Cuba survived peak oil

Links and discussion to broaden our horizons

Moderator: matt walker

Power of community - How Cuba survived peak oil

Postby boo » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:54 pm

Just in case you haven't seen it....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgqn3bTekFA (53 minute video)
boo

Re: Power of community - How Cuba survived peak oil

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:09 pm

I finally got the time to watch the whole video Boo. That is Great, we can learn alot from what Cuba has already had to go through. At some point in the not too distant future we will all have to learn these hard leasons. Cuba has the advantage of a very long growing season and their island is relatively small, so travel is not quite the issue it is here in the US. The life changes that they had to go through were still very hard for them, and I am sure they will be just as hard or harder for us to go through. I believe because we are More dependent on fuel than Cuba was, we will have a more difficult time adjusting to the new order. The US has not invested in Public transportation because the auto industry was such a driver of our economy. We need mass transit here, and we need it now. Farming here has already started to change in small ways and much more locally grown food is already avalible to us. We do still want fresh fruits and veggies year round, so we import huge amounts from Chile and central america. That will have to stop at some point. No one wants to go backwards, it will be a very hard pill to swallow.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Return to Educational Resources