How to Graft a Fruit Tree

Links and discussion to broaden our horizons

Moderator: matt walker

How to Graft a Fruit Tree

Postby Lollykoko » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:15 pm

http://www.permaculture.co.uk/videos/ho ... fruit-tree

I ran across the video this morning and think you might find it enjoyable. I'm planning on ordering some of those multi graft trees, so I wondered how it was done. Now that I have an idea, it goes on the list as something to do in a year or two. In the meantime, I'm ordering a few of those already grafted trees! :lol: I've got some hugel beds started that could use an anchor, and the quicker a tree goes in, the earlier I have fruit, right? ;) That also gives me time to really look for the old apple trees I know are tucked into rarely visited spots in the huge Zone 5.
Lollykoko

Re: How to Graft a Fruit Tree

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:46 pm

That is an interesting Grafting technique. I have seen some different ways to graft fruit trees in books, they always have pictures with the How To sections, but seeing it on a video was very helpful to me. Normally I see grafting done on small root stock plants that grow into a single type of fruit tree. Using mature trees as your root stock would certainly give you a huge head start because of the well developed root system. Trees with 3 different varieties of fruit growing on the same tree have been a novelty in many people yards around here for many years. Some people grafted their own trees, some people bought them that way. There is often 1 variety that does not grow as well, or as fast as the other 2 and it sort of gets pushed out, or shaded out as the tree matures. Keeping the 3 varieties balanced takes some pruning and care.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Return to Educational Resources