Dust Mulching Debunked

Links and discussion to broaden our horizons

Moderator: matt walker

Dust Mulching Debunked

Postby George Collins » Fri May 23, 2014 12:15 pm

A couple years ago I read someone advocating "dust mulching" as a water conservation strategy. I had been meaning to look up that term ever since but failed to follow through until just now. This article seems fairly authoritative.

http://puyallup.wsu.edu/~linda%20chalker-scott/Horticultural%20Myths_files/Myths/magazine%20pdfs/Dust%20mulches.pdf

Summarized:

A soil management practice making the rounds on gardening Web sites is “dust mulching.” Purported to improve water conservation, dust mulches are created by intensively hoeing the soil surface, creating a finely-textured layer of soil. According to proponents, dust mulching breaks the soil capillarity, reducing the evaporative loss of soil moisture.

It’s unclear why the myth of dust mulching persists in spite of the strong evidence against its use. One researcher noted that the value of hoeing lies in reducing weed competition—not in the formation of a dust mulch. In fact, he warns readers that creation of dust mulches through hoeing can actually reduce crop yields.
"Solve world hunger, tell no one." "The, the, the . . . The Grinch!"

"If you can't beat them, bite them."
George Collins

Re: Dust Mulching Debunked

Postby Lollykoko » Fri May 23, 2014 2:10 pm

I had never heard the term "dust mulching" before but did try it a few times. Didn't work well at all! :lol:
Lollykoko

Return to Educational Resources