[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Back to Eden by Paul Gautschi

Back to Eden by Paul Gautschi

Links and discussion to broaden our horizons

Moderator: matt walker

Back to Eden by Paul Gautschi

Postby George Collins » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:19 am

"Solve world hunger, tell no one." "The, the, the . . . The Grinch!"

"If you can't beat them, bite them."
George Collins

Re: Back to Eden by Paul Gautschi

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:05 pm

Yes, it seems to be that easy. Mulch is the key. I have believed that for years. I use chopped up leaves, and grass clippings because that is what I have. I get alot of them from the 40 or so mature trees in the yard and the yard I mow. They are free to me, and therefore the BEST mulch for me. Use what ever you have , what ever you can get, but mulch to improve the soil. Matt talked about my old friend Rocco and was surprised by a very small piece of land producing a great garden for over 100 years. It is not because we have such great soils here in Pa. It is because Rocco and his family have been putting something back into the soil each and every year that they have taken produce off the land. We can't take, take, take with out returning something. Mulch does that for us. It came from the ground, so it can go back into the ground. Its just that simple. I don't know all of the chemistry involved. I don't know all of the science to prove how or why it works. I just see my tomato plants and compair them with my next door neighbors plants. Organic Gardening works, and mulch is the key to that process.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:14 pm

I also enjoyed that film alot. He likes wood chips for mulch the best. He has used many different things for mulch but feels that wood chips worked best for him. I have given my opinion on the Best mulch, it is avalible locally, close at hand, and free. Any of the things that you mentioned earlier will work well over time George. If it came out of the ground, It can go back into the ground. Pretty simple concept, but it has been my rule of thumb for 30 years, And it works. I am only double digging the garden as a make work project for my old age, lol, so when I am as old as Ruth I can never till and just have hay delivered to my door. That is why she used old hay you know. People bailed it for her and delivered it to her garden for her.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby matt walker » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:03 pm

This film is a favorite of mine, and is set in my backyard. I have been intending to schedule a few deliveries of mulch and compost from Lazy J this spring, with the plan of trying Paul's methods in an area of my garden. I need to price it out and see if it's in the budget, but for sure this film has had a big influence on me.
matt walker
Site Admin

Return to Educational Resources