[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - A favorite video of mine...

A favorite video of mine...

Yep, talk about it here

Moderator: matt walker

A favorite video of mine...

Postby matt walker » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:34 pm

I just love this. I watched it for the first time last week and was floored, mostly because I've doing beds exactly this way. I bought my first rototiller last spring, and before too long I decided I wasn't going to till the beds, but rather, till the paths and put the material up into the beds. I then mulch like crazy. When I saw that that was the technique in this video I almost fell over. I thought I had come up with it, turns out it a Fukuoka inspired method, and I had no idea. Anyway, it works very well for me, and I'd like to share. This year I might incorporate a bit more hugle into any new beds, but I'm sold on the technique for my kitchen garden. The other change I'd like to make is I'm realizing the difference the aspect of the soil makes. I'm going to try to tilt all my raised beds so the surface faces south, but maybe that's for another thread.

Enjoy!

matt walker
Site Admin

Re: A favorite video of mine...

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:41 pm

I have enjoyed watching alot of permiculture videos and have learned alot from some of them. Probably the video I would put at the top of my list is not really about permiculture but does have to do with the environment and sustainability. Its " Who Killer the Electric Car " I was very upset after watching that video. So unset that I actually went out and bought an electric car. We had the tech back in 1998 to make an electric car that went 80 mph and would go 80 miles on a charge. Now GM is proud of their Volt as being so Green because it goes 30 miles on a charge. GM's EV1 was a great car and would have filled the needs of alot of peoples driving habits, but GM crushed them all to get them out of sight and started making the H1 Hummers instead. The Hummer was the biggest gas hog around, but it could of course go up a 17" wall, if you happened to find one of those in the road. Electric vehs can be used to fill the average persons driving needs, even with the ranges they are getting today. And if you want to take a vacation and drive to Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon just rent a Big SUV or large van and go. There is no reason to drive that huge gas hog 365 days a year just so you can take a 1 week vacation. OK, I am off my soap box, but I do recommend the film, it is a Great movie and factual as well.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby George Collins » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:20 am

I watched this video yesterday morning but have too busy all weekend with both permaculture and extra-permaculture activities to respond.

Somewhere, one of the icons of permaculture (Sepp Hozler if memory serves) advises those new to permaculture to try LOTS of different things to maximally steepen the learning curve. My vegetable garden currently has elements inspired by both Ruth Stout and Sepp Hozler. Now I will be adding yet a third, Emelia Hazelip test section.
"Solve world hunger, tell no one." "The, the, the . . . The Grinch!"

"If you can't beat them, bite them."
George Collins

Postby George Collins » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:20 am

I watched this video yesterday morning but have too busy all weekend with both permaculture and extra-permaculture activities to respond.

Somewhere, one of the icons of permaculture (Sepp Hozler if memory serves) advises those new to permaculture to try LOTS of different things to maximally steepen the learning curve. My vegetable garden currently has elements inspired by both Ruth Stout and Sepp Hozler. Now I will be adding yet a third, Emelia Hazelip test section.
"Solve world hunger, tell no one." "The, the, the . . . The Grinch!"

"If you can't beat them, bite them."
George Collins

Return to Permsteading!