[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - DIY Household Products

DIY Household Products

Yep, talk about it here

Moderator: matt walker

DIY Household Products

Postby firgela » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:32 am

So here it is, I told Kelli about joining... she's down and more into making our own cleaning products.

Here's a website that has a recipe for laundry detergent, though the site owner doesn't want anything quoted on messageboards saying the content is copyrighted? weird. Anyhow I mentioned over yonder Kelli made 4-5 gallons for about $5, she found the Fels Naptha and the borax at the dollar store I believe. Once she's on here she can correct me.

We also reused an empty Windex bottle and fixed up some leather cleaner which was 2:1 olive oil to vinegar, it works great. You could also use linseed oil.
firgela

Re: DIY Household Products

Postby matt walker » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:12 am

So, how has the detergent been working for you guys? I always buy the fragrance free ones, 'cause that stuff messes with my skin. I would imagine this would be way gentler, or I hope so. That's a lot of detergent for $5. I'm gonna have to try this.

Ok, just read the recipe. $0.01 a load? That's cheap. So I guess the way it smells depends on what bar soap you use? What did you guys use?
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby missusmlaargh » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:54 am

I'm really into this kind of stuff. I haven't done too much in this realm, but would like to. There is so much you can do with vinegar, I use it mixed with water as a floor cleaner and it's a great disinfectant. It'll make your house stink for awhile, but if you don't mind that kind of thing it really works.
missusmlaargh

Postby the north wind » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:10 am

We've never really looked into this stuff, but I am intrigued. We've done the vinegar on the floors and such, but making our own detergent sounds awesome.
the north wind

Postby the north wind » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:25 am

Here's another helpful article from the same website : http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/timesjesus.htm
the north wind

Postby missusmlaargh » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:11 am

jesus.
missusmlaargh

Postby msfirgela » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:14 am

Hi. I'm Kelli. Danny only had it a little wrong:) I used this recipe http://www.mnn.com/your-home/at-home/st ... -detergent (not the super Christian website:). The batch is a bit bigger than the Christian site one so you can make it less often. I only use 1/4 cup of this detergent along with some vinegar(I buy vinegar in gallon size bottles from Sam's for around $2/gallon) and it works well. I do the liquid version because I don't like to wash things in hot water all the time and I don't think the powder version does well in cold water. My daughter has sensitive skin and I think this is better than most store bought detergents for that. I think I spent a little less than 10 for all the supplies and all I have to do is buy the bar of Fels Naptha for a dollar to make more since the boxes of washing soda and borax are pretty big. And for stains you can make a paste from vinegar and baking soda. I'm going to try to find more natural/homemade cleaning product ideas as we run out of the store bought stuff and see how much we can make.
msfirgela

Postby eeldip » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:11 am

can i debbie downer this a bit? most mass marketed detergent works just as well with cold water as with hot. so depending on how you get your water heated up, and how much it costs to heat up, there might not be as much savings as meets the eye.
eeldip

Postby firgela » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:31 am

firgela

Postby matt walker » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:29 am

Hey Kelli, glad you are here. I'm so into this idea. I'm kinda feeling silly right now, 'cause I love this kind of thing but for what ever reason, it never occurred to me to think along these lines. I think the savings are significant, and more important to me is that i know what's in the stuff. I'm glad to hear it's gentler in your experience, that's pretty much the number one criteria for me. I'm gonna try it, for sure.
matt walker
Site Admin

Next

Return to Permsteading!