[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - What does anyone know about Biodynamics?

What does anyone know about Biodynamics?

Yep, talk about it here

Moderator: matt walker

What does anyone know about Biodynamics?

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:25 pm

I drove to Pittsburgh last weekend to attend a seminar on Biodynamics. I had never heard anything about the subject and wanted to learn more about it. They use special herbs and fermented manure as well as the fazes of the moon and stars to guide their planting times, picking times etc. There seemed to me to be some good points in the program, but some parts that were hard to understand [ swallow :o ] The flier said that it just pumped up organic gardening with out much work and with out much money. That sounded good to me so I drove to the City. I hate going to the City. The seminar was held at the Carniagie Library in East Liberty. Its about an hour drive Turn pike and parkway to the Wilkinsburg Exit. Wilkinsburg used to be a very nice neighborhood in the Burgh but it has declined and most all of the store fronts are boarded shut now. I was looking for a place to eat because I was early for the Talk but had a little trouble finding a place where an old guy from the Country like me would feel comfortable stopping. I found the Library and then just continued driving up Penn Avenue. I found a place on a corner that had a big sign that said SOUP with big windows and there was a mixed crowd in there. So I figured I wouldn't get mugged in there and stopped to eat. Turns out it was a Vegan Restaurant, I am more of a Meat and Potatoes kind of a guy myself, but I was there, and I had not seen any place else that looked good to me, so I sat down and ordered the soup of the day, red cabbage with fake bacon. It was very tasty, I actually enjoyed the meal, maybe I was just very hungry. After stopping to inspect a local community garden on a vacant lot near by I went back to the Library. Parking was a problem for me, oh there were lots of parking spots, no problem there, the lot was right next to the Library , no problem there, you had to go to a computerized parking meter that was for the entire lot. I couldn't get it to work. A very nice fellow came up and tried to help me, he said that the City does not make it easy for you to use these things, he has had trouble as well. He even called the phone number in the meter for help. I still could not get it to work right, and it would not take my Discover Card, and one of the Master Cards in my wallet had expired [ I never use Master Card ] I went into the Library and asked for Quarters, they were not allowed to give any out. I asked the Librarian how much a parking ticket cost, He had no clue, I think he took the Bus, he finally said he thought $30 to $60. I decided for that much money I would go back and try again. You have to enter your cars Lic number, then insert the credit card, then push some buttons for how long you want to park. After about 10 tries I finally became smarted than that Damn machine and was able to park legally in a City Lot. :lol:
Back to Biodynamics, ;) The woman who spoke was age 70, she felt that she looked very good for her age and contributed that to the fact that she had been growing her garden using Biodynamics for 10 years now. The idea of this was started in the 1920's by a guy named Steiner. He believed that everything was alive, and everything was interconnected. The soil, the plants , the animals, the water, the sun, the moon, everything works together, everything in connected to and effects everything else. I can buy that, all factors in Nature work together and effect each other. Then she got into astrology and started talking about the 4 main signs, earth, fire, water and wind. You should only work on certain plants like onions and garlic etc when you are in an earth sign because they grow in the earth. Tomatoes and peppers etc need heat to grow so you mess with them during the fire signs. They sold you a special calendar that was not only by day but was broken down by hour of the day as to when you should work on certain plants and what times you work on other plants. Some days were just Bad days to work in the Garden because of the stars, she suggested that you go shopping on those days. They believe that if you are going to plant and weed and fertilize and pick, you might as well do those things at the Best times to do them. She felt apples picked on the right days [ according to their calendar ] would keep better and not spoil as quickly. They use a number of things to work with nature and improve garden production. Cow manure put into a cow horn and buried in the ground to ferment. & other things
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Re: What does anyone know about Biodynamics?

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:44 pm

Sorry for being so wordy on the last post, I am just naturally Blabby I guess. Back to Biodynamics. in addition to fermented poop that they dry and then mix with water in a certain way they also use ground up cow horn and herb additives that they use in the garden or the mulch pile or both. Some of the plants they use are known to have very good effects on other plants, or repel bugs, or improve the soil. They use yarrow, dandelion, equisetum, nettle, oak bark, valerian chamomile, ground horn silica, and fermented horn manure to improve the garden soil. I can see what some of these items can do to improve the soil or repel bugs, I am not so sure about how the stars effect what time of day I should be working in my garden. From what I have read there does not seem to be much difference in amount of production between organic methods and Biodynamic methods. It seems to do no harm, but the jury is still out on how much good it actually does. The idea has caught on in Europe and Australia more than here in the US. There are a number of wineries that use the method and market Biodynamic wines. That is a bit surprising because Steiner hated any kind of alcohol. That does any one else know about this subject? Is any one in the group practicing Biodynamics? Does any one believe that it is Voo Doo and witch craft and has no value? I would love to start a discussion on the subject.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby matt walker » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:31 pm

Ugh, that parking fiasco would have driven me right back out of the city for at least another year before I forgot how awful it was and decided I needed to go for some reason or another. I'm glad to hear you persevered. Maybe it was the wrong day for automated parking meters, did you check the star chart?

I kid, I've read a bit about it, and of course Waldorf schools are all the rage with my friends who are parents. I believe that a lot of that is based on good sound gardening advice, and some is not for me. Overall, I sort of look at it like I do almost all garden advice or systems; I take what I think works for me and leave what I don't. I do think that for those folks who truly believe it, it probably works very well for them.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:06 pm

That was about what I took from the day. I think there are some good sound principals in Biodynamics. But there are some aspects of it that I would have trouble following. I work in the garden when I have time, when the sun isn't too hot, on days that it isn't raining, not when the stars say its the best time to work. Those schools that you mentioned follow Stieners work I believe. Many people seem to really like the program and swear by their results. The jury is still out as far as I am concerned. I started this thread for the same reason I attended the seminar in Pittsburgh, to learn more about the subject. :D
pa_friendly_guy

Postby mannytheseacow » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:40 pm

I've never heard of biodynamics but I think Matt stated it best: Take what works for you and leave the rest. A lot of that stuff has some serious science behind it that originated in handed down traditions from various cultures from around the world. Trouble is there are a lot of kinds of poop from creatures that have a lot of different organisms naturally present in their guts from what they eat in their specific environment. Unless you're a microbiologist and culturing all the different beneficial bacterias and nematodes you might not have the same results. I love learning about that kind of stuff but it's not always practical. I like learning from the old farts around me that have been doin it for years, and then pass it down to the younger folk that are just getting into it. Soil health is pretty complex, it essentially is an organism that needs to be respected and cared for but like all of nature if you start messin with it too much it will blow up in your face!
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby Lollykoko » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:08 am

I haven't done any research into biodynamics, but I DO know something about astrology. In the event that you want to follow the moon signs or divide the day into blocks according to the ruling planet, this is a good site. And it is free, just create a profile if you want to follow your personal chart. The planetary line-up is on the opening page, left sidebar. To find the "hours" section, I go to my personal daily horoscope, then check the right sidebar where it says Planetary Hours.
Lollykoko

Postby boo » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:46 pm

The only thing I know about biodynamic gardening is the use of rock dust along with the voo-doo stuff put into a cow horn and buried :? I'd love to know about it myself but I draw the line at dancing naked at midnight flinging seed hither and yon to increase fertility in the garden :lol:
boo

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:09 am

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Dancing Naked in the Moon light,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, It me get a mental picture of that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ;) Got It,,,,, :lol:
pa_friendly_guy

Postby boo » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:16 pm

boo

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:57 pm

Well, I will have to take your word for that, :lol: Sorry, but I could not resist, ;) We all need to laugh occasionally, and who better to enjoy than our selves. Recent events have brought that to the forefront, Find something to laugh at every day, :D
pa_friendly_guy

Next

Return to Permsteading!