Happy New Year!

Come on in and hang out

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Happy New Year!

Postby boo » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:09 am

My plans are :
1. to put in some more fruit trees
2. to construct a "windproof" hoophouse (or 2) to extend the growing season for veggies
3. to make more soil
4. to find a local permaculture class/course (so that I can get my "ideal design" actually on the ground).
boo

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:35 pm

Well, we made it through another year. Happy New Year everyone. I hope the last year was good to you and you accomplished many of the things you had planned. If you forgot what they were you can read what you wrote last year. :lol: All the best for this coming year, I am sure we shall have many more plans and project to work on in 2014. I would love to here what you have planed for the coming year.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby matt walker » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:30 pm

Ha, I forgot all about this and the things I wrote! Thanks Guy, and Happy New Year everybody. I actually did pretty well on that list, basement is in a good, stable state. Counters are done. Greenhouse is pretty much done. I just picked up a door for the rear a week ago after looking all year for a deal. I'm currently 85% through with putting salvaged hardwood flooring in my bedroom, which was a big one even though I didn't list it last year. Windfall of an opportunity to salvage more oak flooring came along last spring and i was able to move on it, which I didn't think would happen. I had to put the bedroom heater project on the back burner until I finished this, or I wouldn't have been able to live with myself for going so out of order.

Let's see, 2014....

Plant more trees
Get rid of a lot of stuff I've had hanging around for a while
Insulate attic, below the bedroom, and replace windows if possible
Reduce the chicken flock!

Geez, I'm kinda coming up short right now. I must need another hobby.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:19 pm

I did complete several of my projected goals for 2013. I planted the butterfly bushes and hazelnuts alone the road, as well as adding more decorative grass. I got a new hugelbed dug out and sifted. Cut up some of those logs that were in the way for mowing. I also planted several chestnuts, paw paws, almonds, pecan and mulberry trees. I did not find the yellow gage that I have been looking for as yet. I did not get the grape arbor fixed up yet, oh well, there is always next year. :lol: My goals for 2014 will be less physical, there are still many project around the place that need doing, but I think I will concentrate my efforts elsewhere, I think I will try to be Happy for this coming year, concentrate on that for a change. ;) to be truly happy and content with my life. I hope you all share that same goal with me. Happy New Year.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby DevilsBrew » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:05 pm

My big goal is to do a music tour of Cleveland, Memphis, and New Orleans this year. Not sure it is going to happen but I would like to try to get to the cities one by one. I have already been hiking more and want to hit the water again. Can't wait til it stops snowing!
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

Postby Lollykoko » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:14 am

I have so many irons in the fire that nothing is happening rather quickly now!
Lollykoko

Postby matt walker » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:51 pm

Well, I'm on a roll here. My good friend showed up yesterday with a 30' enclosed trailer on his way to a new home in CA. I ended up giving him like half my furniture, a dirt bike, a bicycle, all of my house plants, and so on. I seriously filled half that trailer! So yeah, New Years' plan #1, Getting Rid of Stuff.....check! Feels great, I've got some room and am finishing up the flooring project in the bedroom then doing a major Goodwill donation run, dump run, and reorganizing this whole place!
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:17 pm

I have always heard that there are 3 kinds of people in the world, Those that can count and those that can't count, oh no wait, There are 2 kinds of people in the world, Savers and Througher awayers. I am a Saver. I keep all manor of junk, take old appliances apart when they break and save the screws, keep scrap metal parts that might be welded into something some day. save old wire, you name it I keep it. I know the old adage that if you have not needed it in the last 2 or 3 years give it a pitch. But its been my experience that as soon as you do that, that's when its needed. :lol: So I let junk expand to the space allotted, and I have allotted a lot of space for junk storage. ;)
pa_friendly_guy

Postby matt walker » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:28 pm

Dang it Guy! This is hard enough, I've been sitting here looking at where the plants used to be wondering why I gave them away! And I have no coffee table to prop my feet on! And that dirt bike, I was going to restore it! :lol:

Seriously, I'm a lot like you, but it's gotten a little out of hand and I am not getting any more space, so it's time to let some of it go. It feels good, but dang it's hard to do. Manny gave me some good insight when I visited him, and my conclusion is he's a much stronger man than I am, lol. I'm trying though.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby Lollykoko » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:34 am

Matt, have you built a new coffee table from wine boxes, wheels and a square of plywood yet? Not having a place to prop up your feet can be a serious problem!

Why DID you give away those plants?
Lollykoko

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout