[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Maybe not my best idea...

Maybe not my best idea...

Start a thread for your 'stead!

Moderator: matt walker

Maybe not my best idea...

Postby matt walker » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:10 pm

Well, I'm wrecking the fence as fast, or maybe faster than I'm building it. Here's yesterday's effort...

What I started with...Cottonwood log from a tree I dropped in January. It's been patiently waiting for this project..

Cut it up so I could move the pieces...

Found some stuff around the property to put in there....OOPS!

Okay, moving forward, I'm gonna just live with that messed up fence, since it's not going to be visible from my perspective shortly...

Filling it up with the soil from behind the barn, getting rid of the muck area and scraping back down to the hard so it will drain, and bringing the good stuff up to grow in...you can see where it's coming from in the background..

And done for the day. UPS showed up about 7pm with a box of new trees, blueberries, grapes, and stuff. It's going in today!

matt walker
Site Admin

Re: Maybe not my best idea...

Postby TruGrit » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:05 pm

... woah! .. good work .. and lot's of it .. gettin' it done right there .. reminds me .. gotta get a tractor with a FL and blades .. soon!
TruGrit

Postby SilverFlame819 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:01 pm

Jesus, you're a fast-working little bundle of energy. So... You put in a new fence, but are transforming the area in front of it into hugel beds? I'd think with a pretty new fence like that, most people would just line it with fruit trees or something pretty... Or maybe that's just me. :D
SilverFlame819

Postby Lollykoko » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:33 pm

Interesting fix of functions, Matt. I will be interested in hearing more about how it works out.
Lollykoko

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:50 pm

The Hugelculture bed looks great Matt. The berries and the trees should work great there. Sorry about the minor mess up with the fence. After all that work that just sucks. :o I too have had many plans that worked out way better in my head. :lol: I would say this was just a major learning experience. 8-)
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby matt walker » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:50 pm

I'm pretty excited about this concept, fence damage notwithstanding. It's not supposed to be supported by, or even on, the fence, but I knew it would eventually end up incorporating the fence.

So, yeah, the whole property faces North and slopes North, so by creating that mound there I create a small south facing slope that will be protected down on it's lower slope from the cold North wind. It will collect water from the drive, and the heat from the drive and wind protection should help it be a warm spot. The back side will grow grass vertically that the critters can eat off the fence, and maybe I'll plug some of the back of the rounds with mushroom plugs. That spot was an area that sloped into the fence and just was a constant pain to try to mow, it was a labor sucker and provided no function, allowed cold wind to blow across my living area, and, well, you get the idea. I'm going to try to convert all of my property into these shapes, inspired by my garden beds. South facing slopes on small, on contour mounds that create edge boundary zones that slow water and collect nutrients, absorb sunlight and garner warmth.

My latest overview of the concept is; animal use zones on upslope areas above fenced boundary zones that transition to south facing slopes on mounds. Nutrients run down to collect and be used by the plantings on the warm mounds. We'll see...
matt walker
Site Admin

Return to Members' 'steads