[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Urban Farmers Small Beginnings!

Urban Farmers Small Beginnings!

Start a thread for your 'stead!

Moderator: matt walker

Postby Urban Farmer » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:47 am

Hi everyone, I've been greatly inspired by some of the larger property homesteads on the forum here, and as much as I'd absolutely love to own acreage of my own one day and be totally self sufficient... But for now I'm stuck in the suburbs of the Gold Coast making do in my backyard :)

I've been practical about homesteading for around 2 months now, starting off with a backyard IBC Aquaponics System and expanding from there. I now have 6 Chicken, 9 Quail, and plans to build 6 IBC Wicking Beds growing Sweet Potatoes, Potatoes, Corn, Carrots, Garlic, and Pumpkins (Pumpkins grown vertically)

By spring I hope to have built an IBC RAS (Recirculating Aquaculture System) to replenish the Silver Perch once harvested in the AP System.

I can't use tapatalk to upload photos so I'll try on my PC later :)
Urban Farmer

Re: Urban Farmers Small Beginnings!

Postby Urban Farmer » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:26 am

[youtube]JRXsZE2UNHA[/youtube]
Urban Farmer

Postby Urban Farmer » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:35 pm

Not sure if these youtube Vids are accessable on the forum here...
But here is a Vid of my backyard homestead so far, explaining plans for expansion in the very near future :)

[youtube]Pqe3h6-7S1A[/youtube]

Please excuse the Quail egg on my face at the end of the vid :lol: I didnt realise it was there until i watched the vid!
Urban Farmer

Postby Urban Farmer » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:04 am

Sorry, I can't figure out how to add pics :?:
Urban Farmer

Postby matt walker » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:43 pm

Welcome! Love the videos, you've got a lot going on for such a small space. Posting pictures here requires that the photos are uploaded somewhere else, like photobucket or flickr or the like, then linked here. Once you upload a photo you should be able to copy the image location and use the little "img" button above the reply box to display it in your post. Just put the photo location between the "img" tags that the button generates in your post, and the image should show up. Same method for the youtube videos.. you just need the rest of the Http address and the video should show up in the post.

Great stuff you've got going on there, I particularly like the small wicking bed. I need to try that.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby GrahamB » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:11 pm

Welcome! I too enjoyed your videos. I was very impressed with your aquaponics set up. The one video that I was most impressed with was the one where you had your wife eat that chili and then do a commentary on it. If I'd chewed that, all you would have got was a grown man crying. :)
No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.
GrahamB

Postby Urban Farmer » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:49 am

Urban Farmer

Postby Urban Farmer » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:51 am

Urban Farmer

Postby Lollykoko » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:30 pm

Hmmn. The video links don't seem to want to work today and I'm claiming "not enough time" as an excuse to not go to YouTube and look for them using the code that isn't a link.

Glad to know that someone is working at the urban level, UF. I hope/think that my son has finally been bitten by the bug. Suddenly the side yard (here at the house in town) is full of food plants in pots (melons are in the ground) and conversation is happening about a hoop/greenhouse and the feasibility of chickens.
Lollykoko

Return to Members' 'steads