[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Moon Bear Farm

Moon Bear Farm

Start a thread for your 'stead!

Moderator: matt walker

Moon Bear Farm

Postby Jenny-the-Bear (grr) » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:08 am

Hiya folks, it's me, Jenny-the-Bear. (grr.) Some of you know me from other forums. Hi, nice to see you again! Those who don't, I'm in south central KY. Been here on this place about 15 years, been in KY 18. This is a fairly decent little stead, but it may not be my permanent one. I'll be here at least another year or two, though.

We have 22 acres, split into two pieces, one on each side of the road.The side the house is on is about 7 acres, the rest is across the road. A total of about 7 clear, the rest wooded. A good size garden every year, mostly in tubs and raised beds. We keep chickens, and sometimes raise other poultry, have raised a few pigs, and 2 beef calves. Neither of us are spring chickens, and due to health issues, we're always looking to work smarter, not harder.

Del has been the one to build outbuildings, and do tractor work, we share poultry and livestock tending, I do almost all the garden and canning, and tend to be chief cook and bottle washer. Del is no slouch in the food department either, he's a pretty good cook too. We currently have 3 cats, 6 dogs, and 24 adult chickens, and 11 baby chicks. The rooster population is 6, 5 are on death row waiting for me to have time to butcher. I'm sure we'll have another surplus of roos from the 11 chicks.

Tough roosters make terrific crock-pot birds, and are very nice pressure canned, as well. Really good not only for dumplings, but tamales, tacos, burritos, pie, BBQ chicken sandwiches, and anything you'd use pre-cooked chicken for. The broth beats anything from a box or a can.

We recently raised our very first beef. Two Angus/Holstein crosses, one we sold at auction to cover the costs of raising them, and the other we had processed. Very pleased with how it all turned out. We'd like to do it again, and maybe get a nurse cow and raise bottle calves on her instead of on bottles.

Canned enough green beans from the garden this year, that I won't need to grow green beans again for at least 2 years. Since I have some lovely trellises, I'm looking at other vining crops that I could grow instead. Open to suggestions.
Jenny-the-Bear (grr)

Re: Moon Bear Farm

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:48 am

Welcome Jenny, glad to have you with us. It sounds like you have a wonderful place down there in Ky. I would love o see pictures of what you guys have been doing.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby mannytheseacow » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:53 pm

I'm echoing Guy's welcome and request for photos. Glad to have you here and thanks for sharing your achievements at your place.

What kind of chickens are you raising? I've been struggling with chickens for years. They're easy enough to raise but I'm having a hard time finding a breed that will lay well and still go broody. I've added some welsommers to the flock this year that might change that.

It's pretty amazing how easy it is to have a food surplus, isn't it? My gardens and pastures have been good to me too.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby matt walker » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:23 pm

Welcome Jenny, great to have you here. Loved the intro, I want to go deeper in a lot of the stuff you brought up, but we'll get there. When you do get around to butchering the roos, I'd love to hear about any tricks or tips you have with regards to going from bird to canning cupboard with a minimum of fuss. I struggle with how much work/how long it takes to get it into the cupboard, although that's my preference for preserving as well. Any tips are welcome, maybe not here and now, but down the road I'd love to learn your techniques there.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby DrewInToledo » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:17 am

Hi jen. Beautiful country down there! Im from Northern Ohio but.. I had once bought 3 acres and built a cabin down there. Actually built the cabin on a handshake, nothing more. Never signed a paper. Was a nice place, with a wrap around porch, jacuzzi tub in master bed, hot tub on deck.... Natural stone fireplace... Was married on a cliffside on the eastern side of Kentucky. Daniel boone national forest/ red river gorge/ natural bridge area. Absolutely not only love the country but also the people down yonder. Would love to see the wonderful landscape if you have photos.
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers or coconut meat?
DrewInToledo

Postby Jenny-the-Bear (grr) » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:24 am

Thanks for the welcome, guys!

I'll post pics soon, I just have to find my way around here first. For instance, is there a way to attach photos directly from my own files, or do I have to post from another site like photobucket? If I have to use photobucket or something, I'll still put them up, but it'll take longer and won't be as often.

I'll go through the topics and see where to post what. I'll be doing those roosters in the near future, I'll see if I can get the my half to man the camera for me, and take some pics. Not the actual slaughter, but set-up, processing, and maybe the canning part.
Jenny-the-Bear (grr)

Postby matt walker » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:21 pm

Right on Jenny, looking forward to the education. I do ask that folks use photobucket or a similar hosting site. It means I don't have to purchase a lot of storage on the server and keeps the overhead and maintenance to a minimum.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby Jenny-the-Bear (grr) » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:32 am

Jenny-the-Bear (grr)

Postby Lollykoko » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:40 pm

Hello Jenny! Pleased to meet you. There is no doubt that you have first hand info I'm hoping to learn.
Lollykoko

Return to Members' 'steads