[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Walker Riser-less core

Walker Riser-less core

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Walker Riser-less core

Postby matt walker » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:55 pm

Okay, it's time to show you guys why I've been so quiet lately......

I need more firewood!

It's based around a core that utilizes my air settings developed over burning in my home batch this winter. I've been speculating on how the lower velocity should allow the removal of the riser. After my visit with this winter, I came home super inspired to follow through with this and try to finalize a design to fit their format. I'm putting the info up on my Walker Stoves site, here it is....

http://walkerstoves.com/walker-riser-le ... -core.html

I've got lots to share about how much fun I've had cooking and all that lately, but I'm also swamped with real work at the moment so I'll get this out there and fill in the blanks in the coming days...

matt walker
Site Admin

Re: Walker Riser-less core

Postby thickstrings » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:05 pm

Let me be the 1st....Bravo! Your excitement is contagious and deserved....And the stove looks great! You will probably have a lot of "splainin' to do...I will let this soak in before I start the questioning.....Congrats!
" Life is art...Live a masterpiece"
thickstrings

Postby matt walker » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:12 am

Thanks TS, I'm excited for sure. It's been hard to hold it in and hard to figure out how to share it. The cook stove is really changing my life, I am over the moon for this thing man! I can smoke foods inside, it bakes and is always on....I could go on and on...I'm sure I will. But not right now. Anyway, yeah, thank you, I have been working hard on this.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby DrewInToledo » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:19 am

Dude! Not only functional but BEAUTIFUL! It doesnt look like a clump of dried dung, its fantastic!!! Way to go on combining form and function!
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers or coconut meat?
DrewInToledo

Postby TruGrit » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:51 am

.. wow, well done Matt! .. this looks very cool!
TruGrit

Postby Bobwieser » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:36 am

That is nice! I love the glass to.
So many questions.
Is it easy and how often does the glass need to be cleaned?
Is the burner to the left of the fire box the hottest since it's over the short riser? Looks like a pancake griddle is at the end of the gas stream before going to an oven.
Is that a black or white oven?
Is it on a suspended floor? Like a basement or crawl space below.
Does the cook top warp from the heat?
So many more, I'll save them for later. Thanks for posting it.
Bobwieser

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:53 pm

Nice neat job there Mat !!! It looks like it should work well, how hot does the oven get? Do you plan on using this in the summer ? Or will you just move outside and use the stove/smoker that you have been using ? Great job. :D
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby matt walker » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:54 pm

Thanks guys, I had to get this published as I've been sitting on it while I sort it all out and it's been killing me, and now I'll be working on a project away from the computer for the next few weeks. So, there's lots to share about all of it, I intend to make a page for the cook stove that explains everything, but I started with the core page since to me that is the big news.

The cook stove is awesome though, I haven't turned on the range and the big heater has been out since it's been built.

I don't know about cleaning the glass Bob, I expect it will be a pain although I can sorta easily take it out the kitchen side if I want. It's still clean after a month of daily use, just the grey fog on it from fly ash.

Right next to the chimney on the cook top is the hottest spot, right over the riser. Then around under the top and a bypass over there into the chimney or oven.

Oven is black, could easily be white with an insert.

Over a basement, with shoring now. Total weight is estimated to be about 1 ton.

Glass top doesn't move or flex, I have just a sheet of thin steel over the oven side for now, those tiles are just sitting there. That does flex, but it's working well while I hunt down another dead glass top range.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby DrewInToledo » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:36 pm

I find myself returning to admire your photos, Matt. Is the intent here to cook and heat like a "conventional" rocket mass heater? Do you realize Manny is going to have to remodel his stove again now?? :) :)
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers or coconut meat?
DrewInToledo

Postby matt walker » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:17 pm

Honestly Drew, I'm proud of and happy with the stove, but it wasn't the intention really at all. It's just the vehicle for the core....but, yeah, it's a mass heater and a fully functional cooker to replace my electric range during the winter months. I probably won't use the wood fired cook stove much as things warm up here.

As for being a heater and a cooker, it does a great job, but it certainly needs more heat extraction if heat was a main goal. It currently exhausts around 300°F which isn't terrible but I'm spoiled with the efficiency of my home RMH, so it kinda kills me to feed this one much more than I need for cooking.

It is truly an incredible cook stove though, both the cook top and the oven function far beyond my wildest expectations. It just plain works. I have cooked just about everything at this point, smoked brisket, done huge canner runs, it just is awesome. Light it before I jump in the shower in the morning, water is boiling for coffee by the time I'm back to the kitchen 12 minutes later. Same load of fuel will cook breakfast, then I let it go out and the mass keeps the living room comfortable all day. It's awesome.
matt walker
Site Admin

Next

Return to Heating and Cooling