Restoring Tobacco Road ..

Start a thread for your 'stead!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Restoring Tobacco Road ..

Postby TruGrit » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:37 pm

... and there we have it .. the start of the garden .. laid down craft paper, then 4 to 6 inches of chips .. now we'll spend the summer collecting chook and worm poo to layer on it come Fall, by next Spring, should be ready to plant some crops .. it's about 50' X 50', so we should have room for lots of stuff .. 8-)

... and our first li'l resident .. a fig tree, the original dried up and died off, then out from it's roots came this little fella ...

TruGrit

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:34 pm

Nice size garden Tru, and I wish I could grow figs around here, but the cold climate just makes it too much work for me. ;)
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby TruGrit » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:27 pm

.. cleared back the forest to reveal this little beauty .. think I'll make a chicken coop out of it ... :lol:

TruGrit

Postby TruGrit » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:17 pm

... the - shop / barn build continues .. digging 2 ft deep holes in Carolina clay soil, by hand in 98 degree temps .. good fun .. 8-)

.. but, got my extension poles in, roofs are next .. adding two 7' X 20' X 8' rooms to each side, one will be a shop area, the other parts and material storage ..

.. really cool to see something I been imagining in my head for years coming together right before me eyes .. :shock:

TruGrit

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:56 pm

Great work Tru, I am sure the heat down there can get intense working out in the sun. Why even up here it is starting to get bad. It was 90* here this weekend, it got so bad that my wife actually turned the air conditioner on Sunday night [ after two days in the 90's ] It has to be really hot for her to actually turn on the air. She has it turned to 78* in the house, enough to feel cooler than outside, and to take the humidity out of the air. She likes the summers to be warm. :lol:
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby TruGrit » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:07 pm

.. moving right along .. we got wings!

TruGrit

Postby TruGrit » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:23 pm

.. the roofs are complete .. with gutters .. next, gotta install a floor .. cooler weather coming up, only high 80s instead of 90s, so I got that goin for me .. 8-)

TruGrit

Postby TruGrit » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:25 am

... the floor is down .. 15 tons of recycled concrete chunks .. cheap, but effective .. now for some walls .. ;)

TruGrit

Postby TruGrit » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:19 pm

.. here's our 8 week old fig tree, already starting to bud little tiny fig babies .. :lol:

TruGrit

Postby TruGrit » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:46 pm

... why did the drain line cross the road? ..

... to join to the ditch on the other side ..

.. and reach the swale down the hill .. should keep the garden well watered .. at least that's the plan .. ;)

TruGrit

PreviousNext

Return to Members' 'steads