Restoring Tobacco Road ..

Start a thread for your 'stead!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Restoring Tobacco Road ..

Postby wfwarner » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:30 am

any means of retaining water for later use is a good idea. on my lodge I am going to have 2 plastic food grade totes catch water from run off of roof. I hope to catch around 600 gallons.
wfwarner

Postby TruGrit » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:58 am

.. ok, enough of digging holes in the ground .. now back to the barn .. started closing in the ends today .. front and back may have to wait till next Spring, but ya never know, Winter may hold off and I'll have some extra time .. :lol:

TruGrit

Postby TruGrit » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:41 pm

... end walls are done, that may be it this year on the barn .. so many other chores to get done before Winter sets in .. next year we'll work on closing in the front and back ..

TruGrit

Postby mannytheseacow » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:50 pm

Nice work, Tru. I wasn't quite following you when you put up that metal cover but now I get it! Looks like a very useful structure, not to mention, it looks a lot bigger now that it has some stuff in it. What a good idea adding on to it. I didn't even think of that.

I wouldn't worry about the end walls, you have to always have another project to work on anyway. :lol: Besides, it hardly gets cold down there! :lol:
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby TruGrit » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:16 pm

.. I wasn't for sure either Manny .. lol .. sorta just figurin' it out as I go .. I did get 9 ft legs on that tin roof, so I could have sloped sides and still be 8 ft on the outside .. also gives me room to put a loft in the main section ..

.. still debating whether to put in a wood stove after it's closed up, but like you say, it's so mild down here ... :lol:

.. oh, and it's five tractors wide and two tractors deep .. :D
TruGrit

Postby TruGrit » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:23 pm

.. ok, here we go again .. putting a real shed in where that temporary tent shed was .. gonna be 10' deep - 8' high - and 56' long ... picked up an auger to run off the ol' red belly and dug the holes .. put in 12 posts ... now, off for more lumber ..

TruGrit

Postby TruGrit » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:36 pm

.. moving right along .. gotta get this done before Winter sets in .. rafters going on today ..

TruGrit

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:05 pm

Sounds like you are moving at Break Neck speed Tru. Will this be an open machine shed, or do you plan on closing it in with doors and sides? Its always nice to have a place to get your equipment out of the weather. Keep up the good work.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby TruGrit » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:18 pm

... not sure yet Guy, like all my projects, I sorta figure it out as I go .. more fun that way .. :o

.. some progress over the weekend ..

TruGrit

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:43 pm

Well, if you are letting it open in the front for a machine shed with 3 walls you should have thought about the wind and which way it blows. You don't want it to fill up with leaves in the fall if its pointed the wrong direction. :lol:
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

PreviousNext

Return to Members' 'steads