New addition to the farm today!

Grow some food and stuff!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: New addition to the farm today!

Postby GrahamB » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:09 am

We had a nice surprise this weekend that really said Spring was here. We have a power pole in the pasture to power the well house. Because it's in the field, it has four posts around it with barbed wire strung to stop the livestock from damaging the pole and cables. One of these poles is an old 2" steel pipe. I'm digging out a couple of beds behind the well house for potatoes and onions and as I walked past the pole the other day, a small bird flew up, nearly hitting me. I thought it may have been just perched there and I had surprised it.
A little while later, one of the twins was hanging around watching dad working and she happened to mention something about eggs. I didn't take a lot of notice at first as it was Easter and the talk has been about nothing but eggs. Mom had heard her and was taking a little more notice and turned to me and said "there really are eggs there". I looked to see what all the fuss was about and sure enough, about six inches down the pipe was a clutch of small eggs. I watched for a while and eventually a wren perched on the pipe and then dropped inside. Even for a wren that has got to be one snug nest.
No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.
GrahamB

Postby dave brenneman » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:51 am

Nice one, matt. The boy really liked the video of the new calf, asked a bunch of questions...
dave brenneman

Postby mannytheseacow » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:58 pm

The soon-to-be lady of the house had a client at work yesterday with a ewe with a severe case of mastitis give birth to twins. With the ewe unable to nurse them, and no one in their right mind bottle feeding in January of the coldest winter Illinois has seen since 1977, I now have a pair of lambs in my kitchen. Of course I would prefer a couple of lambs in a different part of the kitchen, mainly on plates with garlic and herbs.... but these two are going to be getting a bit bigger and maybe giving us some milk or lambs of their own before they get on our plates. :lol:

"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby DevilsBrew » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:10 pm

Nice score, manny.
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

Postby matt walker » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:13 pm

Oh man, right on! You are a shepherd! I know what you'll be doing this summer. Fencing!
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby Frenchy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:40 am

I thought all kitchens was meant to be nursery's for baby livestock hahahahaha when we had hogs as a kid we seemed to always have one or two in there for some reason an here in the last few years seems my hearth in between the kitchen an living room has been a brooder area for chicks more than anything else hahahahaha congratulations on couple of nice looking lil ones ......
Frenchy

Location: Western Arkansas ~ between I 40 and I 30 in the Ouachita (Washita) mountains

Postby SilverFlame819 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:40 am

Matt, have you considered getting some reds to go with your blacks?
SilverFlame819

Postby matt walker » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:29 pm

I really don't care what color they are. My friend was all excited about getting a red, and wanted me to go in on him with her. I had to decline, I absolutely hate loading them up and driving them around. They aren't used to the trailer and it's a giant pain just to get one that's a different color. They all look the same on the BBQ.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby SilverFlame819 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:53 pm

Haha! We are different people, for sure. I like some variety in the pasture. They may taste the same, but having a whole herd of homogeneous critters just seems so... boring! :) I guess it's not a big deal if you intend to only keep a few though. Did you keep the heifer calf? What are your plans for the herd? Eating them all? Selling some? Are yours registered?
SilverFlame819

Postby matt walker » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:31 pm

First lamb of the season out there this morning. Of course. The pasture is covered with 6" of slush/snow and basically is one big frozen slurpee pond. Sheep always pick the worst times, I swear.
matt walker
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Garden, Pasture, Forest